If you’re in the UUP and feeling a bit sore, keep reading. A buddy of mine has pulled together some silver linings – I’m sure there’s more, but these are the one’s he spotted…
1) Ross Hussey doubled the vote from 05 – Assembly seat back in play.
2) Mike Nesbitt took a big swing our way – second Assembly seat territory.
3) In Lagan Valley, a second Assembly seat should be safe enough.
4) Danny Kennedy beat William Irwin by a margin.
5) John McCallister fell only slightly short of beating Jim Wells, and would have done if not for tactical voting – if there is only one Unionist MLA it should now be John.
6) South Antrim is an even stronger marginal than before, and a second MLA is in play.
7) And by no means least, Bill Mainwaring drew out an extra 300 to 500 votes for us in Belfast West, which doubles the 2007 total.